Saturday, March 1, 2008

The necessary outlet

Ever since I moved from home eight years ago, it immediately became clear that I would have trouble keeping my sanity, or at the very least my cool, without two very important elements.


First and foremost: music. They say you grow out of your dependence on music. I'm 26, but it hasn't happened for me yet. It's how I prepare. It's how I re-energize. If I need to focus or if I need to be distracted, I put on my headphones. Considering the number of albums I have, it could be said that listening to music is my one hobby, because I have rarely made time for anything else.

Second, I need some outlet of creative energy. Sometimes I can focus it into my work, but usually it's not enough. Even if I didn't really have the time and even if nobody asked for it, there has had to be some public output. First I had a Blogger blog, and then a website. For a while I DJed at a volunteer radio station, and after that I wrote a weekly column for the campus newspaper. Then I buried my head in research for a year, and in between journal readings I wrote music reviews for an online publication. In October I moved closer to home and, for the first time, tried just working full time and spending time with family, avoiding the need to constantly stay busy. I thought it would help me enjoy things more, but I've become more and more stressed and frustrated.

So here I am. Back at Blogger. I hope this helps.

By the way, I'm Craig. Thanks for reading.

Track 1: "Prescilla" by Bat for Lashes from "Fur and Gold"
[iTunes] [website]

A perfect opening track. It's a song that you assume will keep building as it goes, but when it doesn't, you somehow end up appreciating it more because of it.

5 comments :

  1. indie mom said...

    Why would you want to outgrow the love of music? I hope I never do. Thanks for the link!

  2. Killer said...

    I had heard "What's a girl to do" on Left of Center (sirius). Their music makes me think of a SciFi/Fantasy book. I'm not sure why.

    If you are willing to link to a blog that might be about poop, and definitely about testicles...by all means, welcome.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Craig & co. welcome aboard. Glad to share a link and looking forward to hearing more.

  4. Moderator said...

    Since it appears you are about to rock, I salute you.

  5. B said...

    welcome back to blogger.

    also? i'm 26 and would freak the hell out w/out music.

    period.

    end of story.

    furthermore, I freakin' love your blog.